Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Liebster Award!

Amanda Vanlandingham (best. name. ever.) got involved with the OpeWare suite of apps around October of last year I think.  She was a very shrewd app consumer in that she grilled me about what the apps did before purchasing.  :)  I like that in a user.  Better to have a user know what they're getting beforehand instead of them being disappointed in what they assumed they'd be getting afterwards.  Turns out what she was asking about wasn't in the apps, but they were great ideas.  Most of the well thought-out features of the apps come from user suggestions, hers were no exception and they got implemented.  To show her appreciation and support she bought all the apps.  :)

So at this point, Amanda is a friend more than a user.  To top it all off, she's given my blog (what little there is of it) an award!


I very much appreciate the recognition!

To explain what the Liebster Award is, I'll quote from Amanda's blog:
Liebster is a German word meaning favorite, dearest or beloved.  The Liebster Awards are awarded by bloggers to other, newer bloggers who have fewer than 200 followers to spread the word and help newer bloggers gain wider recognition.

The award comes with four conditions that each recipient must satisfy when accepting.

1.  Choose 5 up and coming blogs (with less then 200 followers) to award the Liebster to.

2.  Show thanks to the blogger who awarded the Liebster to you by linking back to them.

3.  Post the award on your blog.  List the bloggers you are giving awards to with links to their sites.  Comment on their blog to let them know you gave them the award.

4.  Share 5 random facts about yourself that people don't know.
Well, I don't really follow many blogs, so sadly I don't really know of anything that falls into condition 1...  But, I can definitely do condition 4.
  1. I met my wife via World of Warcraft.  Before moving in with me, we "dated" in real life 4 times.  We've been very happily married for 5 years in this May (2012).
  2. I really want to write a video game, preferrably on the phone.  My major challenge in this regard is that I'm terrible with graphics.  This kind of puts a damper on game writing...  But, I may have a design in mind that offers good gameplay without a heavy reliance on graphics.
  3. I was held prisoner of war for 5 years at Georgia Tech.  My release was in the spring of 2003 when I graduated with a Computer Science degree.  Go Dawgs!
  4. I love classical and romantic era opera.  My favorite composer is a toss-up between Richard Wagner and Anton Bruckner.  Or Verdi.  When I do my woodworking or coding I'm generally listening to opera or symphony classics.
  5. I speak a little Italian and German.  I've traveled to each place several times.  Ich liebe Deutschland und Italien!
  6. BONUS FACT: I've had the same 3 best friends since 2nd grade.  We still live within an hour of each other and keep in contact daily.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for all the nice comments!!! Good luck with your video game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great to learn more about you Michael! School does indeed seem like a prison! Yesterday was my last exam for the semester (still have a while to go). I feel bad we dropped out of touch. If you need any graphics stuff, please let me know - I was just reminded that I never responded to your last email back in September. Doh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah hehe, no problem! I still keep up with you on twitter and G+ a bit. :) I may email you about some graphics stuff soon. Mainly just a bit of consulting to see which direction I should go, hehe. :)

      Delete
  3. I just came across your app for tracking floss. I'm wondering if it also tracks various threads. I have quite a thread collection in addition to DMC floss and would love to have something I can track that inventory. Some of the brands I have are Robison-Anton, Isacord, Sulky and Madeira. There are a few others but these are my biggest groups. I'd just like to know if your app supports these types of threads or if it is just floss. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a list on the app page for FC of all the flosses/threads I support: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.opeware.flosschecklist

      You'll have to hit the more button in the description area to see it in full. But, I know off the top of my head that Isacord, Sulky, and Madeira are in there. Robison-Anton hasn't been suggested yet. Thanks for checking me out!

      Delete